Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Let's discuss the word of the day



The word of the day is labyrinth! Labyrinths have been walked as spiritual meditation (solo and in groups) since the medieval ages for certain, although we know they were used by Egyptians, Greeks, and Cretans. I have on a labyrinth necklace, designed to match the one on the floor of the Chartres Cathedral

To jump topics, but not words, one of my favorite fantasy movies (as a child and now) is the 1986 Jim Henson directed Labyrinth starring David Bowie (and his package). I have actually seen Michael Moschen, the man who performed as David Bowie's hands for the crystal ball contact juggling, perform in person! And yes, it was totally awesome, even though he wasn't David Bowie. The movie Pan's Labyrinth is equally fantastical, but also batshit crazy and scary. That's what you get from Guillermo del Toro.

2 comments:

  1. I watched the David Bowie Labyrinth it as a child, and it disturbed me deeply. I think it was a combination of the magic stuff and the fact that the girl wasn't a good big sister. I had a younger brother and sister and took my responsibility to "take care of them" (read: boss them around) very seriously. I never would have given my brother to the goblin king.

    ReplyDelete