Monday, February 27, 2012

Miyazaki and Supernatural chatter


This weekend I went with my sister, niece and nephew to see The Secret World of Arrietty, the Miyazaki reworking of The Borrowers. I had read the books when I was little (of course), and enjoyed them. We all love Miyazaki, who is of the big bosses of Studio Ghibli, the famous Japanese animation company. When Ponyo came out in theaters here, my niece stood clutching the seat in front of here the entire time because she was so excited.

The movie is great, but definitely not for tiny/ADD munchkins. My sister said it made her think of The Last Unicorn. It does have the same sort of slow, dreamy storytelling that the first half of that movie has, rather than a quick-paced action-adventure. It's very beautiful and thoughtful, and I really enjoyed it. My niece (who's 6) loved it so much she ran up to kiss the movie poster afterwards.

Of course, I'm an anime/animated movie fan anyway. I'll get on a kick and watch various shows and movies for weeks on Netflix before I go back to live-action. At the moment, I'm catching up on season 6 of Supernatural, though, and angsting about Sam and why he seems to be horrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment