Friday, July 27, 2012

Geek and proud


Tank - Simply Be, Pants - Denim 24/7, Shoes - Dexter, Necklaces - self-made.
So lately, the issue of "fake geek girls" has been in the media. Forbes has had several articles about it, including this latest one. There are all the usual reasons to be ticked off about this misogynistic idea of women not being able to be called geeks unless they have an encyclopaedic knowledge of whatever is deemed "real geek knowledge", or just because they're too pretty to be "real geeks". But personally, it ticks me off for other reasons.

I like to consider myself a geek. But I don't know all the proper comic book superheros and whether they're Marvel or DC. I don't play video games. My definition of being a geek is best summed up by the awesome Simon Pegg (and no, I don't know everything about him). “Being a geek is all about being honest about what you enjoy and not being afraid to demonstrate that affection. It means never having to play it cool about how much you like something. It’s basically a license to proudly emote on a somewhat childish level rather than behave like a supposed adult. Being a geek is extremely liberating.” How cool is that?! I have certain stuff I fangirl all over, like Sherlock and Doctor Who (from the 9th Doctor on), almost anything Joss Whedon, and a number of authors. I don't know the name of every episode or actor, but I know what I think is awesome. I can talk your ear off about indie writers. I love fanfiction, and yes, I have read mpreg fics.

And I reject the idea that just because I don't love the same things you do, that I'm not a geek, or that I can't geek out about something. Or that because I'm a woman and have breasts (come on, I'm turning 31 on Sunday, let's leave the term "girl" behind in the dust, particularly in the pejorative way it's being used) that I can't be a geek. I'm not a nerd, because I'm totally awesome. I'm a geek, and I'm proud. And I will totally think about slapping you in the face if you say I can't be a geek. And then I'll argue with you in a very angry, loud voice. And then I'll go hide after the argument, because I hate fighting even though other people are always wrong.

1 comment:

  1. Ugh, the competitive geekery thing drives me nuts. I mean, I know that this is a pretty common thing across human culture--"I'm a more informed and true fan of this thing than you, neener neener!"--but it seems especially prevalent in geek culture, and the blatant misogyny inherent in it is truly vomitous. You're a geek, I'm a geek, we're all geeks! Ain't nobody gonna convince me otherwise. (P.S. Happy birthday, yo.)

    ReplyDelete